Thursday, June 30, 2011

How to " " in " " days!

I hate those. You know the ones. The "How to lose 10 lbs in two weeks*" or "I lost 25 lbs in 12 weeks*!"
source; plz dont click. You'll hate yourself later.

*Results vary because we paid and photoshopped these people. But srsly, it WORKS!


They're so... uninspiring, and yet I always think, "Well, if they can, why can't I?"

I make up some crazy plan in my head to do the same thing. I pick a day to start and then the next thing I know, I'm eating a carton of ice cream.

Wait, what? That wasn't in the plan!

Ads, commercials like that always make me feel so lousy about myself. Its hard to explain to people why I never watch TV (like I'm the weird one) but its because we are bombarded with these images on a minute by minute basis.

I want the easy way out of this body I've created for myself, but I know it took a lot of effort to get here, and its going to take a lot of effort to get out of here. I've finally made that commitment, a true commitment, no matter how many restarts, or setbacks, upsets, or long hauls. One day I'm going to wake up and realize I achieved what I set out to do: lose weight and get healthy. If it takes 10 days or 1000, it will happen.

My plan, the rules, my goals... they're all the same thing ultimately. They're going to help lead me down my path of health and weight loss.

Setting smaller goals like:
  • Drinking enough water
  • Eating salad for a week
  • Tracking my calorie intake
  • Lifting weights three days a week

These are a lesson in discipline. I can't tell you how much I hate making salad at home. I don't mind eating it, but making it just kills me every time. Tracking my calories sometimes is easier than others. The more I do it, the more little changes like these I make to my everyday life, the easier its going to be to make healthy decisions in the future.

The rules including:
  • Photograph everything
  • No eating in front of moving pictures
  • Be aware of serving sizes and stick to them
  • Find an exercise program and do it (in this case, c25k)

These are a lesson in accountability. I still do all of these things on some level because sometimes I need a little extra accountability. When I started this over a year ago, I had no idea what I was eating, or how much. I wasn't exercising. I was making decisions based on whether or not I wanted to climb my stairs. That's what incapable looked like to me, what it felt like. I never wanted to be the person who couldn't get upstairs in her own house, but I was well on my way.
Me; Whittier, Alaska 2011

My plan is to be healthy, to be capable, and to succeed in reaching my goals, whether they're completing c25k by August, eating salad every night for a week, or shopping in the all the other stores at the mall.

I have never declared what weight goal I'm trying to attain, nor what size clothing I'll be happy in once I get there, for a reason. I just want to feel happy and normal in my own skin- to be able to run like the wind, to say, "hey, I want to climb that mountain over there!" and then actually be able to do it. Whether I'm 240 when that happens or 130 or anything in between, as long as I'm living my life to the fullest, then I've succeeded.


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...