Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Stair Climbing and Burning Out

This morning instead of going to the gym, I climbed the Stairs of Doom five times. They're relatively close to my home, so it was just a short walk to get there. I used my heart rate monitor, which I'm pretty much in love with. I was only active for about 20 minutes, and burned just over 200 calories.

I didn't think to bring my camera because I was running a little behind this morning. All this sun is making it difficult to get quality sleep! I forget to go to bed because its still light at midnight... I wake up at three am to pee, and the sun is coming over the mountains! I've lived here for 5 years, you'd think I'd be used to this by now.

 After I came home, a little disappointed in my calorie burn, despite being covered in sweat, I decided to turn on a little music and dance for another 15 minutes.


I've been thinking a lot about my goals for the next couple of months, and I'm starting to feel burnt out. If I want to see more results, I have to work for it much harder than I have been. Working harder also burns me out. Having my schedule changed burns me out.  Asking more of myself burns me out. 

I think the part that I keep forgetting is, The more I ask of myself, the more I'm able to accomplish. Perhaps I won't reach that "goal" but I'll be so much closer to it than if I hadn't started at all.

Even though I have all these walks planned, I almost don't even care at this point.Okay, even writing that doesn't feel true. I guess I still just want to be at the finish line, and skip all the hard stuff- you know, the stuff that matters. The stuff that shows you who you are, the stuff the creates memories. 

As Miley Cyrus sings, 


Ain't about how fast you get there

Ain't about whats waiting on the other side

Its the climb
Yup. Totally just quoted a Miley Cyrus song.


Speaking of things leading me closer to my goals, I was invited to go on a hike this Friday immediately after work on the Bird Ridge Trail, near Girdwood, Alaska. It is listed as a moderate to difficult 2.5 miles one day with a 3500 elevation gain. My head is kind of spinning just thinking about it. Several other people will be going, including two of my documentary programmers for the AIFF this year (whom I recruited myself) so in theory it should be fun. But I don't want to be that person that holds every one back. I don't want people waiting on me, cause it makes me feel lame.
The view from the top of Bird Ridge (source)

I really really really don't think I'm ready for such a hike. But if I never go, I'll never know, right? Maybe I should go climb some more stairs...




How do you keep from burning out?

3 comments:

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Lots of qood quotes, points, and questions!! Burnt out comes so easy to some (self included) while others make it look like a breaze. I've recently started to fight the burn out by not taking into consideration what others are able to accomplish. One's life changes is just that: one's life changes. Taking others out of my equation has "lighten my load" and taken undo pressure off myself. I can only do what I can do. Some days more, some days less. I'm sure you get the picture.

I do occasionally feel the way you do (about holding up others) but you know what-they invited you for a reason. Seize the moment!! :O) I remember saying recently to someone "sure I'll go..but remember; I'm not as accomplished as you so you'll either have to bare with me or go on ahead and let me catch up."

As for the Enell bra (I would email you this but I don't know how to figure out where your email is on the blog) it is a good bra don't get me wrong...but like you said it isn't as great as they claim. They (suppliers) claim it is a "no bounce" sports bra which IMO is very misleading because there is bounce! maybe if I didn't have so much up top it wouldn't bounce. For light work outs (walks, stairs, hiking, maybe even rock climbing) it's great...but running, which is my activity of choice I'll have to put it over another sports bra. ttyl

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said... [Reply to comment]

Wouldn't it be nice just to skip it all and just be at the finish line! Unfortunately, not going to happen. It took time to gain all this weight so it will take time to lose it.

Can't wait to hear about your 10 mile hike. Work out this year and you'll be in shape for the harder hike next year!

(I'll totally forgive you for quoting Miley). :-)

Happy Fun Pants said... [Reply to comment]

The Enell bra has been a chestsaver for me...but yes, there is bounce. I don't think they could make it not bounce...:)

I like the Miley song...and I think it's true so I LOVE that you quoted it.

Lastly, as for your question, I wish I knew how to recover faster. I guess maybe an answer is to ask yourself what you're burned out from - dieting, walking, a relationship, school, work, whatever... And then take a break if you can from it. That works for me - no matter what I'm burned out about.

Soooooo late to read and post a comment, but I'm thinking of your often.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...